Dry skin could be temporary in nature or it could be a persisting problem depending on many factors. These factors determine the nature of organic care you need to provide for your skin.
Weather conditions, chemicals in toiletries and cosmetics and other external factors cause skin dryness. Dryness caused by them is temporary in nature.
The other causes like genetic, age, thyroid, infections and diseases can be persisting in nature and complex to cure. Organic care for these problems is different.
In this section you can read about both causes and cure methods in brief.
Organic Skin Care Routine for Temporary Dryness
Winter season makes your skin go dry. Moisture from your skin layers evaporate faster resulting in dryness. The heaters you use at home can also cause skin dryness.
- Retaining existing moisture is the first task towards skin moisturizing. Wear protective clothing when you go out. Apply glycerin to your skin regularly.
- Drink plenty of pure water.
- Take oatmeal bath regularly. You can combine lavender oil, coconut oil and honey with oatmeal to prepare a paste or gel at home. Add it to the hot tub water and soak your skin in it for about 15 to 20 minutes. Then you can have your shower. It helps in relieving dryness caused by weather conditions.
Exposure to Chemicals
Your skin may get exposed to chemicals from the toiletries and cosmetics you use. Pollution and working environment can also make chemicals to penetrate your skin and cause dryness.
Protective clothes are the first guard against these elements. Home treatments can include:
- Scrub with essential oils
This is required for taking out the dead skin and toxic elements from the top layer of your skin. Add half cup of sugar, coconut oil and olive oil with 2 teaspoons of lavender oil and Aloe Vera liquid in a bowl. Mix well and apply onto your skin.
Apply an extra coat to areas exposed to pollution like face, hands and legs. Let the liquid soak your skin for about 15 to 20 minutes. Now scrub your skin gently for the next 10 minutes. Wash with cool water and dry with tissue paper with gentle scrub.
It removes dead skin cells and extracts the toxic elements on your skin top layer.
- Massage your skin with chamomile oil recipe
Add ½ cup of chamomile oil, ½ teaspoon of eucalyptus oil, ½ cup of coconut oil and 2 teaspoons of mint leaves to a bowl and heat it to medium temperature. It causes the ingredients to mix well.
Cool the liquid to room temperature and apply onto your skin. Soak your skin with it for about 30 minutes. It extracts the toxic elements from the depth of your skin layers and brings them onto top layer. Use a tissue paper to scrub your skin gently and take a shower.
This procedure needs to be followed regularly twice a week.
Organic Dry Skin Treatment for Persisting Dryness
Persisting dry skin can be caused due to genetic reasons, infections and diseases. When you opt for external solutions like lotions, creams and other methods it takes long time to cure. Hence you need to condition the internal organs in your body to overcome dry skin in these conditions.
Dry skin Due to Infections
Fungal infections can make your skin go dry. Athlete’s foot, ringworms, yeast, Tinea versicolor and eczema are some common skin infections that cause dry skin. The first step is to get rid of these infections and related scars. Once are done with it you need to start hydrating your skin.
- Natural Alpha hydroxy acids are found in citrus fruits like lemon, orange, grapes, citrons and tangerine. You need to drink one glass of juice made from any of these fruits ever day early in the morning. One of the suggested methods is to drink one liter of pure water in empty stomach before consuming any food. Leave a gap of 15 to 20 minutes and then consume the juice. When you follow this procedure regularly for about 10 to 15 days your skin slowly regains its ability to hold moisture.
- Massaging your skin with citrus fruits can help in removal of dead skin cells and increasing the fitness of deeper skin layers.
- Dry skin around your mouth is one of the chronic and persisting conditions affecting many people. It can be caused by dermatitis, medications etc. Your skin needs consistent nourishment besides cure for these conditions. Vitamin E and Aloe Vera capsules can help in skin revival and revitalization. Massaging your skin regularly with jojoba oil, olive oil, Shea butter and coconut oil can soften your skin and prevent dryness.
Dry Skin Due to Diseases
Type 1 & 2 diabetes
Type 1 & 2 diabetes can cause skin dryness, leading to slow healing sores and wounds. The first step in restoring skin health is to normalize the glucose levels in your body. Avoid injuries, cuts and burns. Consumption of sugar, caffeine and alcohol free beverages can help restore essential fluids in your body and skin moisture.
Hypothyroidism is a disease which can cause extreme skin dryness. Consumption of pure water, cucumber juice, carrot juice and others rich in vitamin B can help in restoration of skin moisture. Normalization of thyroid conditions is absolutely necessary for maintaining skin moisture and to prevent dryness.
Skin disease like psoriasis (skin inflammation) can make your skin go dry. Though it is non curable at this moment psoriasis can be kept under control with diet made of salicylic acid like green peas, green beans, cabbage and banana. You may apply salicylic acid lotion onto affected regions of your skin to keep it under control. Water melon juice, vitamin E capsules and regular Aloe Vera liquid massage can help increase moisture levels in your skin.
Dry Skin Due to Genetic Conditions
This is actually a kind of scaly skin condition caused by excess deposition of dead skin cells in layers. According to medical science sources there is no permanent cure for this type of condition. It can only be kept under control with the help of diet and skin massages containing lactic acid, alpha hydroxy acid, and vitamin A.